Find Cheap Flights To Johannesburg, SA
Search with cbookers and compare hundreds of flight sites
at once and book cheap flights to Johannesburg.
At cbookers.com, search over 700+ airlines to find the best airfare deals.
Find cheap flights to Johannesburg South Africa available today.
Book Cheap Flights to Johannesburg
Not sure where you want to go, see what best suits your budget.
Find Cheap Flights Deals for You.
At cbookers.com we compare hundreds of travel sites at once to find the best deals for you.
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Are you planning to visit Johannesburg? Get ready to immerse yourself in South Africa’s largest city’s vibrant culture and bustling energy. With a rich history and an exciting present, Johannesburg is a must-visit destination for any traveller.
And with cbookers.com, finding cheap flights to Johannesburg, there’s never been a better time to start planning your trip. Johannesburg has something for everyone, from exploring historical sites to indulging in delicious food and experiencing thrilling entertainment. Let’s dive in and discover all these dynamic city offers.
Johannesburg: Experience from Wildlife to Nightlife
Johannesburg, also known as Jo’burg or Jozi, is the largest city in South Africa and one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. With a rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural scenery, Johannesburg has something for everyone.
Historical and Cultural Attractions:
Johannesburg is a city with a rich history and culture. From museums to monuments, there are plenty of attractions to visit that showcase the city’s unique past and cultural heritage.
- Apartheid Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history of apartheid in South Africa and is one of Johannesburg’s most visited tourist attractions. It features interactive exhibits, photos, and videos that showcase the struggles and triumphs of the anti-apartheid movement.
- Nelson Mandela House: This is the former home of Nelson Mandela and is now a museum dedicated to his life and legacy. Visitors can take a guided tour and learn about his fight for freedom and contributions to South Africa.
- Constitution Hill: This former prison complex has become a museum and cultural precinct. It is home to the Constitutional Court of South Africa and features exhibits on the history of the country’s legal system.
- Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum: This museum is dedicated to students killed during the Soweto Uprising in 1976. It exhibits events that led to the uprising and the subsequent struggle against apartheid.
- Johannesburg Art Gallery: This is one of the most extensive art galleries in South Africa and features a collection of contemporary and classic African art. It also hosts temporary exhibitions and events throughout the year.
Johannesburg may be a bustling city, but it is also home to several natural attractions that offer visitors a chance to escape the urban landscape and enjoy outdoor adventure.
- Lion Park: This park is home to various big cats, including lions, cheetahs, and leopards. Visitors can take a guided safari tour to see the animals up close.
- Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden: This botanical garden is located in Roodepoort and is home to various indigenous plant species. It also features several hiking trails and picnic areas.
- Johannesburg Zoo: This is one of the largest zoos in South Africa and is home to various animals worldwide. It features exhibits on an African savanna, rainforest, and other habitats.
- Cradle of Humankind: This UNESCO World Heritage Site is located just outside Johannesburg and is home to a complex of limestone caves that contain some of the earliest known hominid fossils. Visitors can take a guided tour of the caves and learn about the history of human evolution.
- Magaliesberg Mountains: This range of mountains is located just outside Johannesburg and offers visitors a chance to hike, climb, and explore the area’s natural beauty.
Johannesburg, the largest city in South Africa, has various accommodation options to suit all budgets and preferences. Here are some popular options:
- Hotels: Johannesburg has a wide range of hotels, from luxury five-star hotels to budget-friendly options. Popular hotel areas include Sandton, Rosebank, and the central business district.
- Guesthouses and Bed & Breakfasts: Johannesburg has many guesthouses and bed & breakfasts, particularly in suburban areas. These options offer a more personal touch and often provide a homely atmosphere.
- Airbnb is a popular option for travelers who prefer a more local experience. There are a variety of Airbnb listings in Johannesburg, ranging from private rooms to entire apartments or houses.
- Backpacker hostels: Johannesburg has a few backpacker hostels that offer budget accommodations for travelers. These hostels often have communal areas for socializing and may offer tours or other activities.
- Serviced apartments: A serviced apartment might be a good option if you plan an extended stay in Johannesburg. These apartments are fully furnished with amenities like housekeeping and laundry services.
Food and Drink:
Johannesburg is a melting pot of cultures, and its food scene reflects this diversity. From traditional South African dishes to international cuisine, visitors can find various food and drink options to suit their tastes.
- Maboneng Precinct: This trendy neighborhood has several restaurants and bars serving various cuisines, from sushi to burgers.
- Soweto Food and Heritage Tour: This guided tour takes visitors through the streets of Soweto and introduces them to traditional South African dishes such as bunny chow and pap en vleis.
- The Good Luck Club: This popular restaurant in the neighborhood of Illovo serves Asian-inspired dishes such as ramen and bao buns.
- Neighbourgoods Market: This weekly market in the neighbourhood of Braamfontein features a variety of food and drink stalls, as well as live music and entertainment.
- Braamfontein Rooftop Market: This market takes place on the rooftop of a parking garage in the neighborhood of Braamfontein and features food stalls, artisanal products, and live music.
Johannesburg is a city that never sleeps, and plenty of entertainment options keep visitors busy day and night.
- Gold Reef City: This theme park is just outside Johannesburg and features rides, attractions, and a replica of a 19th-century gold mining town.
- Market Theatre: This theatre is located in the neighborhood of Newtown and features productions of contemporary South African plays and musicals.
- The Orbit Jazz Club: This famous jazz club in the neighborhood of Braamfontein features live music performances and serves food and drinks.
- Montecasino: This entertainment complex is located in the suburb of Fourways and features a casino, restaurants, theatres, and a bird park.
- The Bioscope Independent Cinema: This cinema in the neighbourhood of Maboneng features a variety of independent and foreign films and screenings of classic movies.
Johannesburg is a shopper’s paradise, with various markets, malls, and boutiques.
- Sandton City: This upscale mall in the suburb of Sandton features a range of high-end stores and restaurants.
- Oriental Plaza: This market in the neighborhood of Fordsburg features a range of clothing, jewelry, and home decor stores.
- 44 Stanley: This modern shopping complex in the neighborhood of Milpark features a range of boutiques, restaurants, and cafes.
- Rosebank Rooftop Market: This market takes place on the rooftop of a mall in the neighbourhood of Rosebank and features a range of artisanal products, clothing, and accessories.
- Greenstone Shopping Centre: This mall in the suburb of Edenvale features a range of stores, a cinema and a food court.
Getting to and around Johannesburg is relatively easy, with several transportation options.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport: The main airport serving Johannesburg is located about 22 kilometers east of the city center.
- Gautrain: This rapid transit system connects Johannesburg with the neighboring cities of Pretoria and Sandton and the airport.
- Metrobus: This bus system serves the city of Johannesburg and its suburbs, with several routes connecting significant attractions and neighbourhoods.
- Rea Vaya: This bus rapid transit system serves the city of Johannesburg and features dedicated bus lanes to ensure faster travel times.
- Taxis: Taxis are a standard mode of transportation in Johannesburg, but visitors should be cautious and only use reputable taxi companies.
- Car rental: Visitors who want more freedom and flexibility can rent a car from one of Johannesburg’s many car rental companies.
Local Customs and Traditions:
Johannesburg has a rich history and cultural heritage, and visitors can learn about local customs and traditions through various cultural experiences.
- Apartheid Museum: This museum in the neighborhood of Ormonde offers an immersive experience that explores the history of apartheid and its impact on South Africa.
- Constitutional Hill: This former prison complex in the neighborhood of Braamfontein is now a museum and heritage site that offers insight into South Africa’s struggle for democracy.
- Soweto Township Tour: This guided tour takes visitors through the streets of Soweto and introduces them to the township’s history, culture, and traditions.
- Maropeng Visitor Centre: This museum and visitor centre is located in the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site and offers insight into the history of human evolution.
- South African National Museum of Military History: This museum in the neighborhood of Saxonwold showcases South Africa’s military history and features exhibits on the country’s involvement in various wars and conflicts.
Safety and Security:
Like any major city in the world, Johannesburg has its share of safety and security concerns. However, it’s important to note that Johannesburg has made significant strides to improve safety and security in recent years, making it a safer place to live, work and visit. Here are some positive points to consider:
- Visible police presence: Johannesburg has increased its police presence recently, with police patrolling many city areas.
- CCTV surveillance: Johannesburg has installed many CCTV cameras in public areas, which has helped deter crime and provide evidence for police investigations.
- Private security: Many businesses, residential complexes, and even neighbourhoods in Johannesburg have private security firms that provide 24-hour surveillance and protection.
- Community involvement: Johannesburg has a strong sense of community, with many neighbourhoods and residents actively involved in community watch programs and other initiatives to promote safety and security.
- Tourist safety: Johannesburg has made significant efforts to ensure the safety of tourists, with many hotels and tourist attractions providing security measures.
Find Cheap Flights to Johannesburg:
Visitors to Johannesburg can find cheap flights by using online flight search portals such as cbookers.com, which compares prices from multiple airlines and helps travellers find the best deals on flights to Johannesburg. Booking in advance and being flexible with travel dates can also allow visitors to save money on airfare.
In summary, Johannesburg is a vibrant and diverse city that offers visitors a wide range of historical, cultural, and natural attractions. From the bustling streets of the city centre to the sprawling parks and nature reserves on the outskirts, there’s something for everyone in Johannesburg.
By taking the necessary precautions and being aware of local customs and traditions, visitors can enjoy a safe and memorable trip to this fascinating city. And with the help of flight search portals like cbookers.com, finding cheap flights to Johannesburg has always been challenging. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in the City of Gold.